Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Shadow's Curse (The Knots Duology #2) by Amy McCulloch [ARC REVIEW]

★★★★★
GOODREADS SUMMARY: Raim is no closer to figuring out the meaning of the broken vow that sentenced him to exile for life. But with his former best friend now a tyrannical Khan who is holding the girl Raim loves captive, he finds it hard to care. Every day, he and Draikh learn more about their powers, but it quickly becomes clear that he will never be able to stop Khareh and free Wadi unless he can free himself from the ultimate taboo of his people. Reluctantly, Raim begins the long journey down to the dangerous South, to find the maker of his oath.


In Khareh's camp, Wadi is more than capable of devising her own escape plan, but she's gradually realizing she might not want to. The more she learns about Khareh, the more confused she becomes. He's done unquestionably bad things, horrific even, but he's got big dreams for Darhan that might improve their dire situation. What's more, rumours of a Southern king massing an army to invade Darhan are slowly gaining ground. Only if the Northern tribes can come together under a single ruler will they have the strength to fight the South - but what if that ruler is an impulsive (albeit brilliant) young man, barely able to control his ever-growing power, and missing the one part of him that might keep him sane? Whoever conquers the desert, wins the war. And the secret to desert survival lies in Lazar, which is set to become the heart of a great battle once again.

Okay, I really didn’t expect that I’m going to get accepted on my request for the ARC because of the region restriction. But I really like the idea of the first book and I gotta have this, so yeah I did.
The Shadow’s Curse is packed with of exhilarating and jaw dropping adventures and it’s a MUST READ.
*bow*
I love the ending. Great job!
The very last part made me smile, and I remembered the first book and how it all started. It’s bittersweet.

*MC’s Corner*Note: Spoilers.

  • The scenes are pretty predictable. But what I like is after I “predict” some scene I got more excited and just waiting for it.
  • The Characters
    ·         Raim –he’s the protagonist. I like this guy, there’s so many things happened to him: exciting and some frightening adventures. But what I noticed is that he’s on his age, not like a teenager that thinks or with a brain of an adult. He’s fun and then in times of seriousness he’s serious. He’s going and Draikh, Khareh’s shadow, will discover new about their power. I think that was cool, but it made no sense because it wasn’t that much used.

    ·         Wadi –she’s Raim love interest, kinda. *roll eyes*
    She’s an Alashan, a clan who helps people (mostly oathbreakers) travels the desert. She was captured by Khareh, she wasn’t treated like a normal prisoner, I don’t know why.  She’s confusing in a good way. Sometimes she’s in Raim side then sometimes I felt she’s in Khareh’s side, in the end I understood her.

    ·         Khareh –the new Khan. He’s Raim’s bestfriend. He’s a guy full of contradiction. He’s crazy, childish tyrant but I think all he wants is good for his country, He’s a good guy and he’s just blinded by power and to those surrounds him feeding lies but he believes on what is good to his country.  It’s like he’s so bad then suddenly he a good guy…
  • I love the part where they travelled in boat. I wish there’s more of it. And I’m wondering what happened to the Captain and his crew…. *pout* I know it’s not that important, but still….
  • There’s no romance or declaring of loves. And it was okay, it’s was so focused in the story, kudos! Love love love.

  • Knots Duology is a story of friendship. A strong friendship that will be tested and strike by storms. It’s beautiful.      
 ARC provided by Random House Children’s Publishers UK & NetGalley in exchange of honest review.  Thank you!
@gleekidMC
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment