Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Cemetery Boys by Heather Brewer [ARC REVIEW]

★★★★★
GOODREADS SUMMARY: When Stephen is forced to move back to the nowhere town where his father grew up, he’s already sure he’s not going to like it. Spencer, Michigan, is like a town straight out of a Hitchcock movie, with old-fashioned people who see things only in black-and-white. But things start looking up when Stephen meets the mysterious twins Cara and Devon. They’re total punks–hardly the kind of people Stephen’s dad wants him hanging out with–but they’re a breath of fresh air in this backward town. The only problem is, Cara and Devon don’t always get along, and as Stephen forms a friendship with the charismatic Devon and something more with the troubled Cara, he starts to feel like he’s getting caught in the middle of a conflict he doesn’t fully understand. And as Devon’s group of friends, who hang out in a cemetery they call The Playground, get up to increasingly reckless activities to pass the summer days, Stephen worries he may be in over his head.

Stephen’s fears prove well-founded when he learns of Spencer’s dark past. It seems the poor factory town has a history of “bad times,” and many of the town’s oldest residents attribute the bad times to creatures right out of an urban legend. The legend goes that the only way the town will prosper again is if someone makes a sacrifice to these nightmarish creatures. And while Stephen isn’t one to believe in old stories, it seems Devon and his gang might put a lot of faith in them. Maybe even enough to kill for them.

Now, Stephen has to decide what he believes, where his allegiances lie, and who will really be his friend in the end. 
Phew!
I thought I’m not going get some sleep last night. O.o
This book is quite creepy & freaky.

I am not a big fan of horror books & flicks, most of the time when I started reading/watching it by the first quarter of half of it I stopped reading/watching it. I love my sleep and I don’t want to dream these things. GOSH!!! Hell to the NO!
So… I surprised myself for finishing this book and I finished it around 11:30pm and everything is dark except my book. Well… I am gonna thank my blanket for protecting me from the Winged Ones.


*MC’s Corner*

Note: Spoilers.

  • What are ‘the Winged Ones’?
    It’s a lore in a town called Spencer in Michigan (I am not sure if this town really exist, don’t ask me) about these mythical creatures that brings bad in town. Bad lucks & horrific accidents happen everywhere and the people in town ‘believe’ that to appease the Winged Ones is to offer a human sacrifice.


  • Heather Brewer made me believe in this book. I felt like she’s telling somebody’s story, this lore of some town. And Stephen, the protagonists, I felt connected to him. It was like I am him, feeling his sadness, his problems and his curiosity, especially.
  • I love every page, everytime I turns it I just kept on wanting clues and answers. I did and… the ending is so unexpected, unpredictable but it all made sense. It was like on exam and there is question with multiple choices and you answer is wrong; you wished you chose the other one.
    *thumbs up*
  • The Characters:
    - Stephen Truax –due to his mum’s illness he was forced with his dad, Harold, to move back to Spencer, a small town with a small population, to his bitch of a grandmother. He is desperate to find friends and then he met the very opposite twins, Cara & Devon, and Devon’s friends ‘the Cemetery Boys’ (they weren’t actually called that in the book but they do hang out on the cemetery, which they called ‘the Playground’).
    And then he learned the odd history of Stephen and he started to gather more information… that soon is going to turn his world upside down.

    -Harold Truax –he is Stephen’s dad. When he was young he did everything just go escape Spencer and he did and he never looked back. Little does he know that he just can’t get away to Spencer.

    -Cara –he is going to be Stephen’s girlfriend.
    #SPOILER She’s going to give you clues. She uses tarot cards.

    -Devon –the leader of ‘the Cemetery Boys.’
  • In the start of the book there is this scene that he is going to sacrifice Stephen to the Winged Ones. So while reading the book all I think about is how is that going to happen. (That is not a spoiler.)
  • I love the way it ended. But I don’t like how it ended.
  • This book is twisted-ly good and I am looking forward to the books Heather Brewer is going to write next.
  • CLUE: You’re gonna burn. *MAJOR SPOILER*
 ARC provided by HarperTeen (HarperCollins Publishers) & Edelweiss in exchange of honest review.  Thank you!

@gleekidMC

0 comments:

Post a Comment