Thursday, January 16, 2014

Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge [ARC Review]



★★★★★

Goodreads summary: Graceling meets Beauty and the Beast in this sweeping fantasy about one girl's journey to fulfill her destiny and the monster who gets in her way-by stealing her heart.

Based on the classic fairy tale Beauty and the Beast, Cruel Beauty is a dazzling love story about our deepest desires and their power to change our destiny.

Since birth, Nyx has been betrothed to the evil ruler of her kingdom-all because of a foolish bargain struck by her father. And since birth, she has been in training to kill him.

With no choice but to fulfill her duty, Nyx resents her family for never trying to save her and hates herself for wanting to escape her fate. Still, on her seventeenth birthday, Nyx abandons everything she's ever known to marry the all-powerful, immortal Ignifex. Her plan? Seduce him, destroy his enchanted castle, and break the nine-hundred-year-old curse he put on her people.

But Ignifex is not at all what Nyx expected. The strangely charming lord beguiles her, and his castle-a shifting maze of magical rooms-enthralls her.

As Nyx searches for a way to free her homeland by uncovering Ignifex's secrets, she finds herself unwillingly drawn to him. Even if she could bring herself to love her sworn enemy, how can she refuse her duty to kill him? With time running out, Nyx must decide what is more important: the future of her kingdom, or the man she was never supposed to love.

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

2014 MUST READ!

*MC’s Corner*



  • The moment I started reading it and read the first sentence, I am totally on it! It was WOAH! WHAT?



  • I love it! I don’t know how to say it but when I was reading Cruel Beauty, I really felt like I was in there and there’s some historical vibe going on.



  • I actually read it out loud. I felt I was the narrator. This is so good!!!



  • The thing is the “mystery” part is pretty predictable, predictable in a good way. I mean when you found out that you’re right, you’ll just smile or grin or whatever!!! I enjoyed it.



  • Ignifex is such a mystery. While reading I also guess/making list of his possible name. It was crazy! At first I thought he’s King Oberon, he’s king right? LOL. Then he started saying Greek gods so I said he’s definitely Hades. (Yeah I know I am crazy, haha). And then he Ignifex said he’s The Lord of Bargains, shoot I think he’s Grimalkin! HA! I’m still wrong what the hell??? (Yeah yeah I am a fan of Iron Fey :P)



  • Yes I am a bit disappointed what happened near the end. I am so pissed. I also still hate Nyx’s aunt and twin sis. Ugh! #disgusted


@gleekidMC
ARC provided by Balzer + Bray & Edelweiss in exchange of honest review.  Thank you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment